Historic Renovation, Mixed Commercial, Residential
Sclater Partners Architects
Originally built in two phases in 1907 and 1910, the Perkins Building was constructed by Sydney “Sam” Perkins as home to the Tacoma Ledger and Daily News, the two newspapers he owned. The building is thought to be the first reinforced concrete structure in the Pacific Northwest and is the first building on the west coast to have a basement parking garage. Many people in Tacoma remember the Perkins Building as home to Weyerhaeuser Company offices and a Black Angus restaurant for many years. The University of Washington Tacoma campus occupied the building from 1989 to 1997.
The building was bought in 1998 by B&H LLC, which selected Mountain Construction to lead the renovation team. The extensive 8-story project included:
The Perkins Building is a municipal, state, and national landmark and is listed on the National Historical Register.